Congratulations on making the decision to start your own small business. You will have lots to organize and set-up as you ready your new small business for launch.
In starting your small business, you’ll have lots of details to check and fine-tune. Here is a checklist of 10 things you should do as you prepare your business launch:
Your Small Business Startup
1. Choose a small business and pick a name.
2. File a “doing business as” form with your county clerk’s office so that you can open a business bank account.
3. Open a business checking account.
4. Prepare a marketing plan and outline ways you will generate business for your new enterprise.
5. Brush up on accounting and business bookkeeping techniques and choose a system–either on paper or on computer that you plan to follow.
6. Call the local Small Business Administration office in your area. Ask about their free programs, literature and seminars.
7. Call local community colleges and schools and ask about their programs in entrepreneurship and business. Sign up for one.
8. Go online and find sites to help you brush up techniques you need to know: business marketing, business advertising, etc.
9. Write a business plan for your new small business. It can be 2 or 20 pages, but a good business plan will help you answer all the questions you need to know about your business. It will also be a valuable tool if you need to borrow money from a bank. After you finish the plan you will gain a new confidence that will help you run your small business.
10. Work on a plan to grow your small business. Yes, you’re starting on a shoestring with $500 or less. Where will you be in one year? In two years? In five years? What are your plans and where are you going. Learn about marketing your small business. Incorporate social media into your small business marketing mix.
Visit www.score.org to learn how you can get a mentor for your small business at no charge.