As part of an ongoing strategy to foster entrepreneurism, Purdue innovators now have access to a Purdue Startup Guide that provides information on how to protect and commercialize an invention.
“Purdue innovations can be found in more than 100 countries around the world and benefit millions of people,” said Dan Hasler, Purdue Research Foundation president. “We realize that moving an innovation through the commercialization process is a daunting task, and the startup guide is designed to help ease the process by providing a high-level overview for Purdue innovators, entrepreneurs and partners.”
The Purdue Startup Guide
The Purdue Startup Guide provides expert advice in a number of patenting and commercialization areas including:
- Protecting an innovation by filing a disclosure, receiving a patent analysis and filing a patent.
- Licensing to existing companies including the various types of licensing agreements offered by Purdue Research Foundation.
- Setting up a company from corporate structure, accounting systems, corporate bylaws, non-disclosure agreements and other considerations.
- Developing a business plan including executive summary, market strategies, competitive analysis and a financial plan.
- Getting federal, state and local grants including SBIR/STTR, U.S. Small Business Administration, Indiana Economic Development Corporation and Elevate Ventures Inc.
- Securing tax credits including Jumpstart Our Business Startups (JOBS) Act, and angel investing.
“In addition to providing a good foundation of information, the guide provides information on the resources Purdue makes available to innovators, entrepreneurs and investors,” Hasler said. “Entrepreneurs are encouraged to visit our online landing page for links where Purdue innovators and entrepreneurs.” The Purdue Startup Guide is a valuable resource for entrepreneurs.
About Purdue Research Foundation
Purdue Research Foundation is a private, nonprofit foundation created to advance the mission of Purdue University. The Foundation manages the Purdue Office of Technology Commercialization, which operates one of the most comprehensive technology transfer programs among leading research universities in the U.S.
About Purdue Foundry
Purdue Foundry is an entrepreneurship and commercialization hub in Discovery Park’s Burton D. Morgan Center for Entrepreneurship. The foundry collaborates with longstanding activities already taking place in the center with a goal to increase the growing demand from Purdue innovators who have an interest in forming a startup or licensing their discoveries.