Steve Jobs’ advice is not new or unique. It has been the experience of entrepreneurs for hundreds of years. If you love what you do you will love working on your business and you will love succeeding at it. Here are five ways to find a small business that you will love:
1. Make a list of your hobbies and interests. Include everything even gaming, gardening movies, etc.
2. Make a list of everything that you are good at doing. Are you detailed oriented? Enjoy high-pressured situations and handle them well? Are you a good cook?Do you like to collaborate?
3. Sit down and review the lists. Compare and see if there are any patterns. Does everything you like to do take place outdoors? At a computer? Alone or with a team?
4. Start drawing lines. If you enjoy sports, and you are good at photography or editing videos, maybe you would be happy running a sports video enterprise. If you love to cook and you can handle pressure, would you be happy starting a small business catering service? If you love scrapbooking and are detailed oriented, how about starting a scrapbooking school or create scrapbooks for your clients?
5. Now take your ideas and survey the neighborhood? Is there anything out there that is similar to what you are considering? If so, figure out a way to do it better and cheaper. If not, don’t be dismayed; it doesn’t mean it is a bad idea because no one is doing it. It takes an entrepreneur to come up with new visions.