Jeff Bezos, of Amazon.com knows a lot about building a brand and brand identity. Your basic brand identity consists of a logo, business card, letterhead, and home page of your website. This basic set of materials can be extended to include your letterhead, brochure, folder, flyer, or any other professionally designed pieces.
Here are five keys to building your brand.
- Make sure that your business’s graphics stand out from and cannot be confused with those of the competition, and that the ways you talk and write about your business are uniquely yours as well. Your look should be unique.
- Experts say that it takes somewhere between 6 and 12 “impressions,” or contacts with your business, for customers to truly remember you and connect with your business. Repetition is key to building your brand.
- Choose graphics and colors that will be unique and memorable and in fact, meaningful to your brand. Green is for eco-friendly businesses, for example. Make sure the “look” of your marketing materials fits your small business.
- Stand behind your small business and your brand. Develop values that match your mission. Develop a keen awareness of details. What do you want your small business to say, to represent? Put that in your brand in every way from your press kit and website to the vehicle graphics on your car or van.
- Be professional and like a great athlete, follow through in every aspect of your small business: from the quality of your graphics, to the way your website is written to your personal presentation. Be your business. You are the brand.