The recent government shutdown proves one thing: there’s no such thing as job security. It’s a great time to go into business for yourself, but having the itch for entrepreneurship isn’t enough to guarantee success. According to one expert, there’s a lot more to it than that.
Patrick Bet-David is a self-made success who emigrated from war-torn Iran to the U.S. and is founder and CEO of the PHP Agency, one of America’s fastest growing companies. He’s author of the book Doing The Impossible, and he says entrepreneurship is not for the timid, and it’s not the safe and secure road. It means taking a leap of faith, leaving your comfort zone and risking failure.
His advice for making it big:
– Know your why. If your why is strong enough, the how doesn’t matter. Your why is what fuels your life, and it’s what keeps you going when you feel tired, overwhelmed or disappointed.
– Decide to be the chosen one. Those who dare to do the impossible desire to be the solution to a problem. They thrive on people relying on them. They enjoy delivering on their promises. They seek out responsibility.
– Go all in with one industry. Everyone is looking for the latest and greatest thing, but the great ones devote their passion to the one thing they love and stick to it. It means putting all your chips in the pot and becoming the best. Good examples are Michael Jordan with basketball or Donald Trump with real estate.
– Push the envelope. This means go beyond the limits of what you know you can do and find out what you are capable of. Growth comes from resistance. If you’re not experiencing any resistance in your life, you’re probably not growing personally and professionally.
– Silence your critics. The journey into entrepreneurship is filled with naysayers, those who doubt you and say you’ll never succeed. It will come from family, friends and colleagues, but turning the criticism into motivation is the key. Take their “it can’t be done” and turn it into “I’ll prove you wrong.”
Bet-David says the biggest challenge is becoming committed to the process. The rewards are many for those who are successful, but it’s also going to be one of the biggest fights of your life.
For more information on Mr. Bet-David, visit