1. Think of several business names that might suit your company and its products or services.
2. If you will do business online, check if your proposed business names are available as domain names.
3. Check with your county clerk’s office to see whether your proposed names are on the list of fictitious or assumed business names in your county.
4. For corporations and LLCs: check the availability of your proposed names with the Secretary of State or other corporate filing office.
5. Do a federal or state trademark search of the proposed names still on your list. If a proposed name is being used as a trademark, eliminate it if your use of the name would confuse customers or if the name is already famous.
6. Choose between the proposed names that are still on your list.