If you are planning a big event–an anniversary, a grand opening, a special sale celebration or an announcement about your small business–consider these five key tips to make it a success:
1. Check calendars online and in your industry to make sure there are no competitive events scheduled for the same day or night.
2. If you are renting a venue, make sure you have adequate access to get in the day before to bring things over and start setting up, if possible. Also make sure the elevator can accommodate everything you need to bring to the event.
3. You don’t have to bother with printed invitations these days. Use email or send an evite invitation. Electronic invites are standard these days for business events. Don’t forget to merchandise your event on facebook and twitter, too, if it is appropriate. You don’t want hundreds of people showing up if you are targeted your event to key buyers or customers.
4. If you want to add extra sparkle to your anniversary or grand opening, contact a local celebrity chef or wine expert to attend. They could add the publicity-generating focus you need to make the event a success. And, if you are trying to attract a special person to attend, offer them a car service.
5. Are you preparing even a small “goodie bag?” Make sure it has your company name on it, or website. Keep the bags under wraps until the end of the event. Give them out as a special thank you and include an item from your shop or store or have a personalized ad specialty item created with your company name on it.